A Caterpillar Castle
Zola C. and Kensleigh S. – 3rd Graders at Sally Ride Elementary
Building a Habitat for Monarchs
Kensleigh and Zola with their completed Critter Comfort Cottage.
Research and Design Planning
List of Works Cited/Used in Research
- Graham, Caleb. Monarchs on the Move. Houghton Mifflin Publishing, 2006.
- Why I raise monarch butterflies. Triangle Gardener Magazine. (2020, June 17). Retrieved November 23, 2021, from https://www.trianglegardener.com/why-i-raise-monarch-butterflies/
- Science for kids: Raising Butterflies. Wholesome Children. (2021, April 11). Retrieved November 23, 2021, from https://wholesomechildren.com/raising-butterflies/
- NAPPC Monarch Taskforce, the Monarch Joint Venture, and the association of State Departments of Transportation involved in the Monarch Highway. “Monarch Highway | The Monarch Joint Venture.” The Monarch Joint Venture, Retrieved November 23, 2021, https://monarchjointventure.org/get-involved/i-am-a/department-of-transportation/monarch-highway.
- “Western Monarch Population Closer to Extinction as the Wait Continues for Monarchs’ Protection Under the Endangered Species Act | Xerces Society.” The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation, Graph Retrieved November 23, 2021, https://xerces.org/blog/western-monarch-population-closer-to-extinction-as-wait-continues-for-monarchs-protection.
Cottage Construction and Design Documentation
We worked together to build the Monarch habitat on November 23, 2021 following our drawn design plan. We used the materials listed below.
Habitat Features – Close-Ups
Critter Test – Caring For Instars
Project Log- Critter Test Observations
**Instars A, B, and C all made it to adulthood butterflies.
|Date||1st Chamber Observations||2nd Chamber Observations|
|November 23, 2021||Instar ‘A’ – 3/4 cm in length, stage 1|
Egg was observed on a leaf
| Instar ‘B’ – 4 cm in length, stage 5|
|November 28, 2021||Instar ‘A’ – 1 1/2 cm in length|
Instar ‘C’ – newborn 1/2 cm – egg had hatched!
| Instar ‘B’ – bright green chrysalis formed on leaf|
|December 2, 2021||Instar ‘A’ – 2 1/2 cm in length|
Instar ‘C’ – 1 cm in length (doubled in size!)
| Instar ‘B’ – leaf that chrysalis was on wilted |
so we taped it on the plastic lid.
|December 4, 2021|| Instar ‘A’ – 3 cm in length –> moved to Chamber 2|
Instar ‘C’ – 2 cm in length (doubled in size again!)
| Instar ‘B’ – still a chrysalis|
Instar ‘A’ had molted and was moved to Chamber 2.
|December 7, 2021||Instar ‘C’ – 3 cm —> moved to Chamber 2||‘A’ – bright green chrysalis|
‘B’ – dark green chrysalis
|December 9, 2021||No more instars in chamber 1.||‘A’ – darker green chrysalis|
‘B’ – chrysalis clear and empty, butterfly emerged and was released
Instar ‘C’ – made “J” shape, starting to make chrysalis
|December 10, 2021||‘A’ – dark green chrysalis|
‘C’ – bright green chrysalis
|December 12, 2021|| ‘A’ – dark green chrysalis|
‘C’ – bright green chrysalis
|December 15, 2021|| || ‘A’ – very dark black chrysalis in the morning, by the afternoon, the butterfly had emerged – (see video of release below)|
‘C’ – darker green chrysalis
|December 18, 2021||‘C’ – very dark black chrysalis in the morning, by the afternoon, the butterfly had emerged and was released|
This was the final butterfly release. It was extra special as ‘C’ had hatched from its egg and was born in our Critter Comfort Cottage!
We are thrilled our habitat performed so well.
Release of ‘A’
Below are photos and videos describing our project as we would have done in a Face-to-Face presentation.
These plants are fake. The butterflies and caterpillars are masterpieces made by the team using clay, plaster, and ceramic paint to present this project face to face.
5 thoughts on “A Caterpillar Castle”
I’m so impressed!! Thank you for caring about the Monarch butterflies and building this castle! Obviously, an incredible amount of time and research went into your project and it sure paid off! Congratulations to both of you!
Great job, girls! If I were a monarch butterfly, It would be a dream to live in your Caterpillar Castle!
WOW! You put a lot of work into this project. Good luck!
Girls… This is an amazing project!
You did a very awesome job designing the caterpillar castle. I am sure this design will help Monarch butterflies to stay with us for many more years.
This is incredible. I think it is one of the best projects I have seen. What knowledge you gained from this experience! The documentation is exceptional and the whole project just blew me away!