Hello! I am Sasha and I’m Neil. We are 4th-grade gifted students at Sally Ride Elementary. We are very excited to participate in this competition. This is our first time competing in this specific competition and we are learning a lot of skills from this like engineering and construction.
- Solar car name: Speedy Eagle
- School name: Sally Ride Elementary school
- Team member: Sasha and Neil
- Sasha and Neil: 4th Grade
About our car
- The car is 228 grams
- It is 10 1/2 inches long
- The highest part of the car is 3 1/4 inches in height
- The car ran 20 meters in 9 seconds. It means 7.3 feet per second or 8 kph (Kilometers per hour) or 5 miles per hour. Not bad at all!!!!
- Materials I used to make my car:
- Balsa Wood
- Blue Duct Tape
- Hot glue
- A Straw
- Solar panel
- A hard piece of wood my dad helped me break into two pieces
- Battery holder ( Just in case for the day we go to the competition if it’s not sunny we could use batteries)
- Connecter wires to the motor and solar panel
Our car was turning out really nicely but there was a problem that came our way. We are never satisfied with anything and want to make something look better. We kept sanding the base wood for the car, more and more. We couldn’t stop ourselves. It got to the point where the middle part of the car was awfully thin so we had to start again. The first try was not good. Our car ran fast but in a big circle! We had to line up the weels and then everything worked great!
Our car is a Speedy Eagle!!!!
This project and its content has been approved by Ms. Berriz